Learn Why Weighted Swaddles Are Safe For Babies
Of course anything we use for our baby, we want to be safe, and not just theoretically but proven. Swaddle sacks are often used to keep our babies safe, but some may worry that they may present additional risks. So, are weighted swaddles safe for babies? In short, yes. If you take anything away let it be that your swaddle needs to fit properly and should be made by a baby-centric, trusted brand. Keep reading as we explore weighted swaddle safety.
Are weighted swaddles safe for babies?
Weighted swaddles are a godsend for getting fussy babies sound asleep, and keep them that way. Swaddles provide a womb-like experience that creates a feeling of security. Swaddles are intended to promote a good night’s sleep while keeping the baby safe. While some may have concerns about the safety of weighted swaddles, there’s little evidence to back up the doubt. Some may think that the weight of the swaddle can hamper breathing, thus increasing the risk of sudden infant death syndrome (SIDS). Although babies do have softer chest walls than adults and take smaller, faster breaths, swaddles that fit properly should not present any risks or interfere with breathing.
What does a weighted swaddle do?
Weighted swaddles have a filling inside that makes the material heavier. They wrap around the baby’s body providing the feeling of a warm hug. The added weight offers additional comfort and security. Weighted swaddles are designed to calm the baby, thus promoting better sleep.
What is the difference between a regular swaddle and a weighted swaddle?
Both a weighted and regular swaddle will wrap around the baby’s body. However, the weighted swaddle will have a filling inside that provides added weight, intended to make the baby feel more secure.
How do you know what size/weight of swaddle a baby should have for safe sleeping?
A weighted swaddle sack is safe, but only if it’s properly sized. A sack that’s too large can come over your baby’s mouth and interfere with his or her breathing. And one that’s too small can be constricting and uncomfortable.
Most companies that sell weighted baby swaddles offer them in various sizes according to weight. Simply find your baby’s size by weight and you can feel confident that the swaddle will provide a safe fit.
It’s important to find a swaddle that is no more than 1/10 of your baby’s weight. So, if your baby weighs 10 pounds, the swaddle should be no more than 1 lb. If your baby weighs 20 lbs., the swaddle should be no more than 2 lbs.
If the swaddle is light enough, it will not put too much pressure on your baby’s chest and interfere with his or her breathing. For questions about sizing contact the swaddle company or your doctor.
When should you use a weighted sleep swaddle?
Parents should use weighted sleep swaddles for their baby until they are at least one year old. Babies are at a higher risk for SIDS until they turn one. Before they hit this milestone, it’s not recommended for parents to be putting blankets on or near their baby when they sleep.
Swaddles are an ideal alternative because they provide the comfort a baby needs but, unlike a blanket, they stay in place so they will not disturb breathing patterns.
As your baby gets older, they will become more mobile and will eventually outgrow the sleep sack.
Can a baby be in a weighted swaddle overnight?
Yes, a weighted swaddle can be left on your baby overnight as long as it fits well and is the right weight. A weighted swaddle should be designed for extended stretches of sleep.
What are the benefits of weighted sleep swaddles?
Weighted swaddles are often used to help your baby fall asleep faster and stay asleep longer, but there are other benefits too. Here are some benefits of using a weighted sleep swaddle:
- Keep your baby safe. Weighted sleep swaddles that fit properly should help keep your baby in one position while they sleep safe and sound. In addition, they should keep airways free to prevent the possibility of suffocating.
- Reduces anxiety and comforts the baby. The combination of a fitted swaddled with added weight is intended to calm and comfort the baby. The science behind a weighted swaddle is to mimic the sense of being in the womb.
- Reduces the moro reflex. The Moro Reflex, or startle reflex, occurs when your baby gets scared due to a loud sound or sudden movement. It causes the baby to throw back their head, extend their arms and legs, and cry. A weighted sleep sack instantly soothes a baby, so they are less likely to have a dramatic reaction to sound and movement.
- Helps with sensory processing challenges. Sensory processing challenges occur when the baby has difficulty processing information that is delivered through senses. Children with sensory processing challenges may find it difficult to calm down. A weighted sleep sack will provide them with a soothing sensation that reduces hyperactivity.
- Replace human touch. Some babies will feel instantly soothed if a parent rests a hand on their chest. Unfortunately, parents can’t keep their hands on their child’s chest all day. But, they can use a weighted sleep sack as a substitute.
- Effective sleep training aid. A sleep sack soothes your child when they wake up during the night. This helps them sleep through the night, so they become more used to their sleep schedule. It also means mommy and daddy won’t have to get up as often in the middle of the night to tend to their baby.
Where can you get the best weighted swaddle?
The question of the day, where can you get the best weighted swaddle? Because of course, you’ll only want the best for your baby. Parents or friends of parents can choose Dreamland Baby weighted swaddles with confidence. Created by a mom of 3, Dreamland products put baby safety first. Every Dreamland swaddle features CoverCalm Technology that evenly distributes weight from your baby’s shoulders to toes to naturally reduce stress and give your baby the feeling of security and comfort. The feeling resembles a hug - without the need to hold your baby while they sleep. Dreamland swaddles are proven to help your baby fall asleep faster and stay asleep longer - every parent's dream. Crafted with the use of the highest quality materials, Dreamland products are doctor approved, safety certified, and of course - machine washable!